Allegheny Mountain Water Systems

Surface Water Resources of the World

About 97% of the water on Earth is salt water and not suitable for drinking. Of the remaining  3% that is fresh water about two-thirds is ice at the North and South Poles. Therefore, only 1% of the total water on Earth is liquid fresh water.

Of the total liquid freshwater, about 98% is groundwater and 2% is surface water. So all of our lakes and flowing water which provides most of the water for our uses make up about .02% of the total water found on Earth.

Water is one of the most common substances on Earth. It is all around us. About three-fourths of the Earth's surface is covered with water. In pure form it is colorless, odorless, and tasteless. The air we breathe contains water. Water determines the climate of an area. Water is used for transportation, heating and cooling, forming, power generation, recreation, fire fighting, bathing, cooking, industry and many other uses. We use water in so many ways that we often take it for granted. We tend to forget that Water is absolutely essential for life. All living includes plants, animals and people need water to survive.

The human body is made up of about 70% water. Every system in our body needs water. Water helps us digest food. Water makes up almost 85% of our blood. Water lubricates our joints. Water keeps our temperature correct. Water transports body waste. Human beings can live much longer without food than they can without water. Each day the average adult must replace about 2.5 quarts of water. Some of this water comes from foods and the rest from drinking liquids.




Allegheny Mt. Water Systems
3733 Route 155
Port Allegany, Pa. 16743
Phone & Fax: (814) 642-9283
Toll Free: 877-251-5803
Make sure your Contractor is State Certified.bubble4.gif (1786 bytes)